Where I just write whatever the heck comes to mind
It’s snowing, so I’m using that as an excuse to bring out the bullet points. Again. Because that’s what I do.
- I ran a Turkey Trot 10k over Thanksgiving. Why, oh why, in a packed race, where there are clearly delimited starting areas for runners of every speed, would you choose to walk, while pushing a stroller, and talking on your cell phone, in the far left?
- No, I’m not bitter, at all, about finishing 6 seconds behind my target time (I finished in 55:06)
- I hate “there & back again” races, just because it’s demoralizing to see runners working their way “back again”, while I’m still working on my way “there.”
- CJ, for the past several months, has referred to himself as Batman. Aside from being Batman for Halloween, he plays Lego Batman on the Wii in every chance he gets, would watch the Adam West Batman movie on continuous loop if he were allowed, has me play the theme to the Adam West Batman TV show whenever I’m sitting at the piano1. In fact, he’ll walk up to any poster with Batman on it, point to it, and shout “look, it’s me!” So, naturally, when I gave Duffy a replica Sonic Screwdriver for her birthday last Sunday, CJ took it and demanded to be referred to as The Doctor, and has been sonic-screwdriving his way through everything.
- I’m really wondering if my son’s geekiness is nature or nurture.
- We opened an early Christmas present last night. It was a very large, stuffed giraffe. Leila, upon seeing it, shouted out “Zeeba!” So, our stuffed giraffe is now named Zebra.
- You can’t type zebra without typing bra . . . so, yes, I am thinking about boobs.
- It is amazing how much food, after the initial “I’m done” at dinner, either of my children will eat in order to receive a piece of candy.
- I kind of like the fact that my kids get excited for parties. And that the thing they get most excited about, when they head to a party, is not the presents but the cake.
- I’m giving serious thought to a “detox diet,” but the thought of caffeine withdrawal scares the everliving shit out of me.
- I’m not a big one on new year’s resolutions, but I am giving serious thought to targeting a full marathon and a 100 mile bike ride, once a month, for 2013. I believe, if I can get my body doing those on a regular basis, any diet decisions will just work themselves out (because, getting myself ready to run and bike such distances would require regular maintenance runs & rides).
- With my kids getting bigger, and the Appalachian Trail running through my town, I believe I’m going to start hiking as a regular summer activity.
- Both the Gaming Store and the MMA gym closed during the same month at the mall closest to work. I always liked to think about
nerdsgaming enthusiasts hanging out, playing Dungeons & Dragons and Magic: the Gathering and getting very, very quiet when the gym closed, just to avoid gathering the attention of the exiting muscleheads.
- With it snowing, I really want to be sitting on a tropical beach, with a cold drink in hand, my toes being tickled by ocean foam. And that has me thinking about what I want to do to allow myself to live such daydreams. And I’m certain that I just need to write a bestselling novel, or write a hit song, or a “wait list only” Broadway musical . . . so I guess I should start working on that.