Where random wins the day
- I’ve never been a good one for “being at rest,” but lately, things have been a bit out of control. My muscles will scream in soreness from me pushing them during workouts — yet, if I have an hour to myself? I feel the need to run. Or ride my bike. Or something active. Normally, I’d say that’s great, but I fear that I’m wearing myself down – and that’s not a good feeling.
- Fortunately/unfortunately, my garden is providing ways for me to fill any down time I might have. The number of tomatoes I have is truly staggering . . . for the foreseeable future, I believe I’ll be picking & washing tomatoes through the week and then making stuff with them on the weekends. This weekend? Salsa (because I have tomatoes, onions, and jalapeños) and tomato sauce.
- The lawn & yard have always been a bit of a bane to me. This year, after years of “just working around the edges” of ground cover that the previous owner had placed, I went in and weeded areas of the landscape that have gone, essentially, untouched, for the past 13 years (because, if they’re not facing the house and/or facing the street, I haven’t cared). It was a lot of work, but I’m left thinking about what I want to do around my house:
- We have one significant hill that has always caused me a difficulty in lawn mowing. I’m thinking about leveling out said hill (putting in landscaping timbers between each step) and, with each leveled-step, starting grape vines (on trellises that I’ll build myself).
- A small portion of the yard fronts onto a pond — I’m tempted to build steps leading from the back yard to the pond and setting a pump to pump water from this pond to a water feature heading from to the topmost step back down to the pond. And, at the pond, putting in a fire pit along with a small, leveled patio . . . this might take me some time to do.
- I love my kids like nothing else. Truly. But I’ve found myself, when I’m alone in the car, driving to the sound of silence because, well, my children are not silent.
- I’m working my way through the Harry Potter audiobooks, once again, because they’re such a fun tale and Jim Dale is an amazing narrator. This has become a yearly tradition — we leave on vacation, I listen on the way down, get hooked, and work my way all of the way through.
- On the topic of listening to things, though, we signed up for Amazon Prime when we ditched cable. At first, I’d say that it was mostly a bust — most of what we wanted to watch through Prime wasn’t free on Prime. And two-day-shipping, while nice, isn’t a necessity for most anything. However, the free selections of music on the Prime Music store are wonderful – especially for someone like me, who prefers listening to classical music while at work.
- I’ve been obnoxiously watching my diet as of late — not only keeping my caloric intake in check, but actually ensuring that I’m getting types of foods that I want (always aiming for less than 30% carbs, at least 25% protein). This means that I’ve been avoiding the Chinese buffet. But I’m going there for lunch today . . . it’s going to be fun to let loose.
- I’ve always though I’d be a “it’s just hair, it’ll grow back/grow out” parent. But, lately, my son has been asking me to cut his hair really, really short1. Part of me wants to give into this whim of his — give him a buzz cut (I won’t shave his head, like I have mine, just because I know the pain of a burnt scalp and I don’t trust a four-year-old to keep a hat on when it’s necessary), but I don’t know if he truly realizes:
- just how slowly hair comes back
- how much other people enjoy his curls
. I haven’t cut it yet — we’ll see if the end of the summer leads to the same decision.
- I’m getting really good at brushing little girl hair.
- A local band has asked me to join up with them . . . it sounds like they’re good & everything, but the idea of spending less time at home just isn’t sitting well with me. I love playing, truly – but there are reasons I chose not to make my living as a musician . . . I’d fear taking on an additional band would push me one step closer to always looking for that next paying music gig.
- I have two half-marathons and a full marathon over the next three months . . . despite the whole “not resting enough” item that I started with? I need to get myself running more (though, don’t worry, I’m working out aplenty).