Where me put fancy word things to brain burps
I’m tired, and it’s cold, and my life has been a bit crazy, so anything fancier than bullet points won’t ever get published.
- It’s really freaking cold – so cold that one of my dogs, the other day, when I started getting ready to take the dogs for a walk, said “meh,” and decided to stay in bed. So I went back upstairs and said “hey buddy, don’t you want to go for a walk,” which CJ, very eagerly agreed to. Only it’s cold. And it was 4:30 in the morning. And he should have been asleep. So I felt super guilty as he cried and I forced the lazy dog out for a walk.
- Leila seems to be practicing the “cross her arms in front of her as she says ‘no’ and puts on a grumpy face” routine. Which of you taught that to her?
- After a long search, I’m getting a new bass tomorrow. I have very mixed feelings about this — on one hand, I’ve missed playing and I’m really looking forward to getting back into the swing of things. On the other hand, I kind of feel like a widower who isn’t quite ready to go out on his first date. Anyway, look for something here over the weekend – I do have special plans for the introduction of my new mistress.
- And, of course, I’ll be naming my new bass. In the six basses that I played, only one of them truly spoke to me, but I haven’t had enough time with her to actually figure out her name. So far, Peisinoe (one of the Sirens), Lenore (of Poe’s legacy), Kaylee (of Whedon’s legacy), and Ophelia each have equal footing. Tomorrow, I plan to spend a fair amount of time playing, and I’m certain she’ll tell me her name.
- With the super cold temperatures, I haven’t been running — it’s just not worth the misery, if I have other options to work out. So, I’ve been spinning in my basement — and thanks to the power of Netflix, I’ve been watching some of the worst movies I’ve ever seen as I’ve sweated. It’s been awesome. I chose to watch “Hooking Up,” because of the cast. How can you beat a movie with Corey Feldman, Dante Hicks, and Cousin Balki in the same movie? Especially if the latter is playing a middle-aged heartthrob1?
- I need to figure out the copyright rules about ideas – because I think, if I posted the general outline of the musical I’m working on, I might actually be more-motivated to work on it . . . but, if, by posting the general outline of said musical, I open the gates to someone running with my musical idea, well, I wouldn’t feel too good.
- I am fighting the call of the wild — I’m tempted to just pick up, rob a camping supply store, and head out and hike the Appalachian Trail, leaving my phone behind. But then I think about how anxious I am whenever I’m without my phone for an extended period of time & I realize that I don’t stand a chance.
- Still, I’d love to spend a significant amount of time outside of the conveniences of modern electronics, armed with little more than a notebook for journaling the experience.
- I want a house elf. And a hover board. And Rosie.
- I daydream about boobs. A lot.
- My diet continues to be effective — I’ve lost almost 20 pounds in the month of January (that number is, quickly, leveling out to a manageable weekly loss). When I’m as busy as I’ve been, it’s actually easier for me to make good eating choices while working . . . simply, I’m too busy to do much of anything. But, when I’m as busy as I’ve been, I get quite stressed, and that makes me want to reach for all of the foods when things calm down enough for me to eat something.
- I no longer have coffee every day (though I do have a cup on most days). My urge to stab people has been much less than I thought it would be.
- I have two fun gigs coming up, if any of you are inclined to head out to see me play – February 9, I’ll be playing bass in the pit of a theater review for the Carlisle Theater Company. On August 31, my classic-rock band, Landslide, will be playing the Gettysburg Battlefield Resort. Of course, most every Sunday, you can find me playing with my organ.
- I’m giving serious consideration to getting rid of cable, save for high-speed connectivity, and using some combination of Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Hulu+ for entertainment. My major point of trepidation is sports. The thing is, I spend a lot less time watching sports than I used to, so I’m not actually sure I’d be missing out.
- I find it odd that, immediately after Lance Armstrong’s confession, one of the regulars at the gym asked me if I’d be interested in taking nutritional supplements. I’m not sure if this means that I’m “in the cool crowd,” or if I was just asked (in some coded way) if I’d like to buy drugs, or if my body is not reflecting the intensity for which I work out. In any case, I declined.